Both the ecobee3 and the ecobee4 offer excellent control over the temperature in your home utilizing sensors for multiple rooms of your home for the ultimate comfort at home. Neither of these thermostats focus on keeping track of your location outside of the home, so if you want a smart thermostat that will track your location and adjust temperature accordingly, these are not the thermostats for you.
Both of these thermostats can be controlled quite intuitively using the wall display, your smartphone, or a web app. Both the ecobee3 and the ecobee4 can control temperature remotely utilizing Alexa technology, but the ecobee4 has Alexa integrated and can do a lot more. Read on to consider the features of the ecobee3 vs ecobee4 to decide which thermostat is right for you.
The Ecobee3 is an intuitive to use smart thermostat that will give you complete control over scheduling temperature for your home as well as reading temperature in multiple rooms for complete home comfort. This thermostat can be easily controlled from the intuitive touch screen monitor or your smart device so that you can alter the temperature if your schedule changes. The ecobee3 can control the temperature using voice control through Alexa, but does not offer nearly as many Alexa integrated features as the ecobee4.
● Utilizes sensors to identify temperature in particular rooms
● Works with Alexa to adjust temperature
● Easy to use, intuitive app on monitor and for your smartphone
● While sensors can identify temperatures in particular rooms, they cannot control the temperature of some rooms separately from others
● Touch screen, while quite sensitive, is not sensitive enough to be easily adjusted by only one degree
● It does work without a common wire, but you may need to adjust your furnace wiring which can be intimidating for a do-it-yourselfer.
● Does not track your location and adjust accordingly like some other smart thermostats
● Works with Alexa
● Does not require common wire
● Utilizes Wi-Fi to communicate with your smartphone
The ecobee3 is a sleek-looking thermostat with a square design and rounded corners. The touchscreen makes for an easy-to-use product, and this is a thermostat that is easy to install yourself. It offers temperature and motion sensors that can be put around your house for accurate readings all over.
This thermostat is not focused on figuring out whether you’re home or not, but rather puts priority on making sure each room is comfortable. You can adjust for the temperature of specific rooms with the sensor. You can mount the sensors to the wall or use a sticky pad, or you can prop them up with a plastic stand. There are no wires to worry about, but you will need to change the batteries periodically.
A convenient to use app and website design make it easy to manage the thermostat from the unit or from the web app. Home IQ offers information about analytics and usage data that give you a lot of information about and control of your home. Setting up a schedule is extremely easy, and it is also very easy to change it if your schedule changes.
Alexa integration allows the ecobee3 to be controlled by simple voice commands to raise or lower temperature or to set a target temperature. On-screen control of the thermostat is easy and will feel natural for anyone who is comfortable using a smartphone.
You can control the thermostat using an almost identical interface to the app on your phone or computer that you use with this thermostat, so you will have integrated experience and not have to remember differences in programming between app, computer, and thermostat interface. On the screen you can easily see the time, humidity, temperature as well as the weather forecast.
It is easy to install the ecobee3, even if you don’t have a common wire. Ecobee includes a power extender kit to make up for the lack of this wire without suffering in performance.
The ecobee4 still has all of the great features and ease-of-use of the ecobee3, but it is much more thoroughly integrated with Alexa to provide you with control over not just the temperature but also other Alexa enabled devices in your home. While this thermostat will not have all of the features of an echo, it does offer many features that you would expect to find in an Alexa Echo as well as being a great programmable thermostat.
● Sensors from ecobee 3 can be used for ecobee 4
● Offers all of the great features of the ecobee3, as well as many more voice activated features through Alexa
● Alexa does not know that this is a thermostat right out of the box, so you will need to set up Alexa with it
● Can’t change the Wake word like you can with Echo
● Can’t send or receive messages
● Bright red light displayed if you turn off Alexa
● Bulkier than the ecobee3 to accommodate the speaker and microphone hardware
● The back plate is different and wiring is different so changing between the Ecobee3 and 4 can be a little challenging
● Alexa integrated
● Communicated with smartphone via wi-fi
In most ways the ecobee4 is the same as the ecobee3. Not much has changed in the design or the features offered by the ecobee4. The defining difference between these thermostats is that Amazon’s Alexa is built directly into the ecobee4.
This means that having an ecobee 4 is like having an Echo in your thermostat. The primary difference between an Echo and your thermostat is that the speaker of the thermostat is not good enough to listen to music and therefore music streaming services are disabled.
The ecobee3 could adjust the temperature in your home by voice command utilizing Alexa technology, but the ecobee4 can adjust not only the temperature but also other Alexa controlled systems in your home like lights or other appliances.
The ecobee4 can work as a timer, can play games like Jeopardy, can tell you the weather and the humidity as well as the temperature, make shopping list for you, as well as converting units and of course telling you the time. The ecobee4 is not just a smart thermostat, it works as just another way to control your entire smart household. you can also control your thermostat by talking to other smart devices that are enabled with Alexa in your home.